Saturday 27 July 2013

Module 9

In module 9 we investigated online, professional and personal networks. Finally!!! A module where I had a clue as to what we were looking at. The networking site Facebook is asocial networking site that I’m very familiar with. Although I know Facebook is not particularly a professional networking site I was interested in finding sites that were. At school we’ve had a ‘Techie Brekkie’ in the past where we looked at Twitter and its uses as a professional networking site. Although I don’t have a twitter account at the moment, I’m beginning to realised that it’s only a matter of time. Once again I think it’s me not wanting to step out of my comfort zone.

I also looked into the uses of Second Life. The tutorials given in module 9 painted a really positive picture of Second Life as a professional networking site. I guess for me the thing that really stood out was the possibility of teachers being able to use it as a tool to teach their students about culture, science, art and historyetc. in meaningful, creative and even collaborative ways. It’s great! However, although there are numerous opportunities for learningwith Second Life, one big problem is the age restrictions. Being a 3/4 level teacher, this eliminates the possibility of using this great tool in my classroom with my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment